Thursday, January 04, 2007

What is Accounting?

"The learned outcome of Commerce 450 will not be immediately obvious to you because professional judgement is not something you can master in one course or within your university education. Instead, after completing Commerce 450 you will hopefully begin to realize that interesting (and financially rewarding) questions and challenges lack concrete and simple answers. Real accounting issues are complex, ambiguous, require trade-offs, involve the assimilation of large amounts of data and rarely have a right/wrong, yes/no, black/white conclusion. My objective, and hopefully your learned outcome, is that you will become more comfortable with complexity and develop a method to THINK your way through difficult financial problems."




...F*CK.

I mean, yeah, I kinda understood that accounting wasn't number-crunching, but when it's all spelled out like that... DAMN, not the kind of job I really wanted to end up doing. I was always hoping for the highest-paying job with the least amount of difficulty. And now I have to THINK? Nuts...

Telling my mom that I now have no goal and don't really think I want to be an accountant anymore, might not have been the greatest idea. Now she's all worried about me and stuff. Whoops...

Anyways, hopefully this'll be the end of my post spamming for tonight. I need sleep. But alas, I also need to print out all my notes for school before I leave for the apartment. As well as my updated resume to hand out to employers such as Safeway in order to keep my apartment. And, you know, feed myself. But I digress. I'm taking friggin' 6 courses next semester, which means a whole bunch of paper to print out. And books to buy. And such.

And now I'm just digressing like crazy. But no matter, printing out notes is kinda making me all gung-ho about school now. Like, I can actually do well next semester, what with the apartment and the breaks and the slightly improved motivation over last semester... although, am thinking I might regret taking that "teach science to kids" course... I have to by a LAB BOOK. wtf... I HATE labs... what have I gotten myself into!!

I stop now before rambling consumes me.

5 Comments:

Blogger bj_nitsuj said...

Highest paying doesn't mean highest POTENTIAL pay.

And yeah. Professional accounting, i.e. designations, are all this. I'm seriously considering just becoming a bookkeeper or something, max sal of like $50k/yr, I'm down with that. But, we'll see how it goes.

7:53 p.m.  
Blogger Jamieson said...

But don't you want a career that's engaging? Otherwise won't it get kinda shitty and boring after a while?

7:58 p.m.  
Blogger bj_nitsuj said...

I really don't care if the job's not engaging. Boredom isn't something I fear.

11:45 p.m.  
Blogger Jamieson said...

Even for the rest of your working days, until you're at least 60? You might want to think about that...

12:19 p.m.  
Blogger andrew said...

So you don't want your job to entail thinking?

5:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home