Monday, February 14, 2005

Ah, Shakespeare...

Thought it seemed appropriate for a day like today...doing my english explication essay on this poem...so without further adieu...

Sonnet 130
by William Shakespeare

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.


Friggin awesome poem, even if I didn't understand it fully the first time around...

Basically, it's about this guy who talks about his girl, and how she's not perfect, but still loves her all the same...and he spoofs the tired love cliches at the same time! Awesomeness! Makes his love seem that much more realistic...

Plus the last two lines are the best lines out of the whole thing! He's saying that his love for her is rare, even though she just shrugs it off as the former loves she lied about (belied) in comparison to his own love (false compare)...so basically, she's saying "So you love me? Who cares! Lots of guys loved me! What makes you so special?"

Haha, this is fun...here's my dumbed down, modernized version of Shakespeare's Sonnet 130:

So my girl's eyes aren't bright like the sun
Her lips aren't red like coral
Her boobies look dull
She ain't no blondie
She ain't gots no rosy cheeks
Her breath reeks!
And sure, I love listening to her voice,
But I'd much rather listen to some music
Okay, so I never saw a goddess walking,
But c'mon, my girl walks like an elephant!
But so what! She's the love of my life!
Even if she doesn't think it's anything special...

Now that I think about it, this kinda reminds me of M2M songs..."Girl In Your Dreams" being the most obvious to me..."Maybe I don't have the blonde hair you like/ or maybe I don't have eyes like the sky/ and I'm not sure if I'm the girl in you dreams/ but I can show you what love means"...heh, M2M, they were awesome...I could go on, but that'll just take away from the awesomeness of Sonnet 130!

[p.s., I was doing this instead of writing my paper on this poem, lol...]

Until next time, I guess...

--> As told through the mind of an introverted extrovert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home