Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Copy&Paste

Well, I posted a comment on Valen's blog, thought I might as well show it off to those non- readers-of-Valen's-blog, heh...

Excerpt of Valen's Post:

i was bombarding charles and esther with ALOT of questions. hehe. i think my moment of triumph was when i finally stumped them. yes. lol. basically, i was debating the fact that if physical attraction determines your sexuality, how is it that attraction happens naturally if sexuality is a choice? =P

My Reply:

Wait, I don't get what stumped them... what were they arguing for, exactly? That sexuality is a choice? Well, as with everything in philosophy, that depends on your definition... okay, I think I'm gonna get a bit ranty here...

Is sexuality defined by your choice, or your underlying feelings? In other words, if someone is attracted to the same sex, but doesn't act on them, is that gay? Would you classify that person's sexuality as gay?

If you believe that sexuality is defined by actions, then yeah, you can choose your sexuality, no matter what you really feel inside. However, if you believe that sexuality is defined by your feelings, then no, it's not a choice.

So, according to what you wrote above, that physical attraction comes naturally (i.e., one could be naturally attracted to the same sex), if you believe that sexuality is based on this natural attraction, then no

Personally, sexuality = how you choose to live your life. So yeah, I believe you can choose your sexuality. However, I do agree that attraction comes naturally. In other words, God decides (or allows) someone would be attracted to the same sex. But He doesn't want you to act on these feelings.

So how is this fair, one might ask? Well, the greater the hardships, the greater the rewards, right? Or something to that effect...

(as an aside, this logic works for just about anything "natural" about someone that is a sin, such as aggressive tendencies, sociopaths, narcissism, etc.)

***

I got ranty and I'm not even sure if I understood the post correctly, haha... sorry bout that Valen!

[end of reply]

So yeah, I tried to make it as brief as possible, so I might have missed out on something. But yeah, this is pretty much my opinion on homosexuality. Basically, I'll give that someone can feel naturally homosexual. But that doesn't mean you have to act on those feelings.

Hope this enlightens people on some of my views on things. Or, at least, spark up some internal debate. Or, barring that even, perhaps start something in the comments in which to counter this point. But it's not like I posted this to produce comments. Oh no...

7 Comments:

Blogger Gautam said...

I think that whether or not you act upon your instincts, you are what you feel. If you are attracted to the same sex, exclusively, then you ARE gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ewzhorgy

10:01 a.m.  
Blogger bj_nitsuj said...

lol, ewwwwzh... orgy... heheh, anyways...

I don't deny that some people have natural homosexual tendencies, but I don't believe that they're unable to control them. In that respect, i.e. that they can choose to not act upon their feelings, they are able to choose their sexuality.

I don't think it's possible to change a person's underlying instincts, etc, but it's definately possible to control these instincts. I'm sure you're able to control your instinct to bang some hot girl's ass in the library, right Gautam? I mean, sure, it'll be difficult, but the repercussions of this act are not worth the few moments of (for lack of a better word) awesomeness...

On another note, in my psyc course back in kwantlen, the teacher was saying how there's new evidence that homosexuality has some genetic link, and thus can be argued that homosexuality is natural. But then she also stated that this finding is dangerous, because if it's genetic, then what if it's a genetic defect? For example, the same kind of defect as other personality disorders (which DO have a genetic component)? Just thought it was interesting to note...

12:41 p.m.  
Blogger bj_nitsuj said...

p.s. - Sorry if my example sounds like an attack, it wasn't meant to be!

12:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you really think God decides? i guess we won't ever really know, but that's kinda like God making you hungry then saying its a sin to eat~ God cares about our happiness...

1:12 p.m.  
Blogger Gautam said...

No, I didn't take it as an attack, even if I disagreed with it. I, personally, think you can't quite choose your own sexuality. I mean, you can pretend to choose, but your natural instincts are still your natural instincts. I like women, so naturally I am straight. If some guy likes to bang dudes, then he's inherently gay (or bi, if he likes the best of both worlds ;) ). But I think what this discussion comes down to is the true definition of "sexuality", per se, in its entirety.

As per the "banging hot girl's ass in library" comment, well my inherent desire to commit such an awesome act still remains intact, but being a decent human being prevents me from doing so, "naturally". Now grant it, it's possible to have homosexual tendencies and not be gay. Yes, you can be straight and still have homosexual tendencies, but that's normal. But to be completely attracted to the same sex, and only engage yourself with the other gender, is just a ruse on others and to yourself. But again, this all comes down to the definition of "sexuality" and whether or not we're arguing semantics.

2:49 p.m.  
Blogger Gautam said...

as far as genetics playing a role in this, who's to say it's a genetic DEFECT?

arcekl

2:51 p.m.  
Blogger bj_nitsuj said...

Valen: But EVERYONE must eat. To use this food analogy correctly, imo, consider this. Some people have a natural tendency to thoroughly enjoy eating pork. Myself included. But according to my beliefs, that's a sin. SO I STOP EATING PORK. Simple. I mean, sure, it's hard to stop, but you get used to it. And, more importantly, it's POSSIBLE.

Gautam1: "as with everything in philosophy, that depends on your definition." So yeah. If you believe "sexuality" is based on your natural instincts and what not, then yeah some people are naturally gay. However, I believe that "sexuality" = how you choose to live your life (as was stated in the post). I don't disagree with your statement in the slightest.

Well, except for the part about "and only engage yourself with the other gender." A gay person shouldn't try to force it. I mean, there IS a third alternative... and no, I don't mean animals... har har...

Gautam2: Well I meant that as a "someone could argue" kind of statement. Personally though, yeah I do believe that it is some sort of defect in the brain. Like, for example, sado-masochism. Or a fetish for balloon popping. Along those lines. Although those aren't really great examples, what with their being induced through environmental factors... but you get the picture.

2:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home