Sunday, May 03, 2009

Meet You At The Crossroads...

I am graduated.

I'm at a crossroad of my life.

Down one path, my life as a businessman. Down the other path, ANYTHING ELSE. Most notably elementary school teaching.

Going down the teaching route would mean taking 9 more credits of senior-level arts/humanities courses (i.e. psych/phil/econ/etc) plus 36 credits of whatever-level arts/humanities courses; basically, a couple courses in the summer and a full-time courseload for another year. Not to mention the 12-month program itself. So that's two years before I graduate again, if you're keeping tabs.

People very near and dear to my heart are pushing me to keep on trucking, wanting me to become an accountant. Two more years of school (plus on-call substitute teaching for a few more years afterwards) is just too much time to wait for a steady job. It's too late to change my mind, they say.

It's also been mentioned that I would not be a good teacher, or at the very least that I will not enjoy teaching as much as I think I might. It's plausible, I mean I know teaching a few kids is very different from teaching 30, but still... I'm worried that these people don't know me at all, but then again, maybe they know me too well...

Maybe my past experience in business was not what it will be like in the future. Maybe I'll actually enjoy being an accountant. Maybe accounting really is my true calling.

But then again, maybe not.

...oh hey, and it's my birthday on Saturday. Whoop-dee-freakin'-do... quarter-century of mediocrity.

Dammit I feel so jaded...

I just applied for an accounting job at Capers. Seems kinda nice if you ask me. Hopefully I get it, so then I don't have to move outta my apartment (kinda nice since it's so damn close). But I've been rejected for every job I've applied for in the past year, so I'm not holding my breath.

I don't know. Should I keep going with accounting? I'm worried I'll be as miserable as I've been in my previous co-op jobs. I've been told it's not the same as a real job, but damnit, I've seen people doing "real" office work, it's no different... if anything, it's 10x more stressful.

Man, I feel trapped. Lost. Conondrified, if you will. But if there's anything I've learned through all of this b.s. is this:

I should've been a geologist.

Until next time, I guess...

--> As told through the mind of an Introverted Extrovert.

p.s. - It's been awhile since I've had a good rant, I guess I don't care who reads this blog anymore...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home