Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Decisions... GAH!

So this is my last semester at UBC... kinda sad...

I only need two courses to graduate, but they're dry/boring business courses, so I need something else to keep my sanity (and my full-time status...). Plus, I know I probably won't have the opportunity to learn any of these cerebral courses again, so I kinda want to take everything that interests me... but yeah, waste of time and money yadda yadda... I know, I hear it from EVERYONE... at least my sisters kinda understand me at least...

Right now I'm registered in 6 classes. 2 core, 4 electives. I'm going to drop 3 electives by the end of the night.

Phil 324 - Philosophy of Logic - Frege and Russel (or something to that effect)
Phil 320 - Symbolic Logic II - 2nd order, set theory, that kinda thing.
Phil 321 - Philosophy of Logic - Decision theory, Game theory, Nash etc etc.
Psyc 305 - Personality Psychology

I attended these classes in the past two days. My reactions are from good to so-so to NO WAY.

Phil 324 is hopelessly boring and difficult at the same time, and is pretty much a history of philosophy course more than anything else. And the instructor is the kind that just talks without writing down notes or anything. SUPER annoying. And to top it off there's a frickin' paper. So that's out.

Phil 320 I was really looking forward to, until I realized it wasn't for me. The workload was too heavy for a class I didn't need to take, the professor was pretty boring and didn't know how to teach (as spewing knowledge is not teaching...), and the material seemed too difficult to learn for my "fun" class (especially with the not-so-great instructor). So this one's out too, unfortunately. Kinda sad as 220 was my favourite course last year...

Phil 321 is taught by Richard Johns, the awesome instructor I had in 220. So that's an immediate plus. Also, the material looks relatively easy to understand and learn, mainly because I'm kinda exposed to it already and it's pretty interesting as it is. And then there's the dealbreaker: A PAPER. I really want to like this class though... I'll put it as a maybe...

Psyc 305 seems good; I know someone in class, teacher is decent, no papers, final is all MC/TF questions (which I like), interesting subject matter... seems so good, but, I really really want to do well and get a good mark, and it's a psyc course. Which means it will be difficult to get 80%... and I'm looking for 90%s... ... ...bah, who cares. Only 3 classes, I better hunker down and do well this semester...

So yeah, looks like I'll be taking another psyc course. Coolio. I'll still go to 321 for the rest of the week I guess, should I decide to transfer to that class instead.

***

...all this talk about leaving UBC has got me all nostalgic. Why can't we just go back...



So awesome, definitely love the 90s throwback sound...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home